Attend a Workshop
- October 20, 2018 – The C.I.A. Approach in Book Clubs and Independent Reading
- October 25, 2018 – Running Records & Assessments for Book Clubs
- November 29, 2018 – The C.I.A. Approach in Nonfiction
Raising the Standards Through Chapter Books: The C.I.A. Approach – $189Transitioning readers from lower level series books to more complex chapter books is no easy task. Explore a process for teaching students to read chapter books that not only increases motivation to read, but also guarantee’s students’ success with understanding more complex texts. The strategy (the C.I.A. Approach) is based on research-based practices and teaches students to:
- Comprehend the text
- Interpret patterns in the text
- Identify the author’s message
- Reflect on how the book impacts their lives
This is the first in a series of three workshops recommended for teachers using the C. I. A. Units of Study.
The C.I.A. Approach in Book Clubs and Independent Reading – $189See how the C.I.A. Approach can be transferred into book clubs in the classroom, as well as students’ independent reading. Learn classroom-tested strategies that are manageable and appropriate to students’ various levels of readiness. In this class, you will learn:
- How to place students in appropriate groupings
- How to manage book clubs
- How to engage readers in authentic response opportunities
- How to practice on-going assessment
This is the second in a series of three workshops recommended for teachers using the C. I. A. Units of Study.
Formative Assessment in the C. I. A. Classroom – $189
Formative assessment is a powerful tool, which provides quality feedback for both the student and teacher. It has the power to immediately increase student learning potential. In this class, you will learn how to:
- Analyze students’ oral conversation
- Pinpoint strengths that show mastery of ELA standards
- Assess student informal writing to show comprehension and writing skills
This is the final workshop in a series of three recommended for teachers using the C. I. A. Units of Study.