Reading Test Prep: 6 Things You Are Already Doing

rsbsadmin Additional Activities, C.I.A. Approach, Sarah Collinge, Testing 1 Comment

  This is the time of year when teachers start to feel anxious about reading test prep for the upcoming high-stakes state assessments. No matter how effective your teaching has been all school year long, testing season raises doubts in teachers’ minds about whether or not they have done enough to prepare their students for state tests. So first, let …

Science Connections with Chains

rsbsadmin 5.3 Chains, Additional Activities, Heidi Finley 0 Comments

I am often looking for ways to help my students understand the time period of the Revolutionary War. Many years ago I stumbled upon a cartoon called Liberty’s Kids. This is a show that was created by PBS (Find it here on Amazon) . There are 60 episodes that tell the tale of this time period. There are two teenagers …

Castle in the Attic Project

rsbsadmin 4.2 The Castle in the Attic, Additional Activities, Janet Erickson 0 Comments

As I mentioned in my last post, I decided to have the student create their own coat of arms to use as a cover for the collection of work from Castle in the Attic.  Online I found a list of attributes often symbolized in coats of arms, as well as the colors, animals, and symbols that represented each one.  The …

dark emperor

Supplementing Poppy with the Dark Emperor

rsbsadmin 3.1 Poppy, Additional Activities, Sarah Linington 0 Comments

On the day of our Read-In, one student brought in a Poppy mouse she made with a rock by drawing on the face and tail and gluing pom-pom ears. Another student brought in an offering of acorns. We all got comfortable in our small gathering area and commenced to read. The students gasped. They cheered. Some reprimanded others for laughing …

Building a Castle

rsbsadmin 4.2 The Castle in the Attic, Additional Activities, Ryan Painter 0 Comments

I had this great idea of having my students each build a castle of their own out of cardboard.  This first time idea of mine turned into a three week project that took up every extra inch of spare room in my class and I ran out of cardboard twice!  So it did take longer than I had planned, but …